Assistant Controller – International
The ideal candidate should have strong and broad accounting experience along with a high level of knowledge of US GAAP with an ability to research various accounting topics and communicate, through both written and verbal methods, the appropriate application of those accounting topics. The candidate should have the ability to apply US GAAP in an effective manner as well as have knowledge of foreign statutory GAAP treatment and industry best practices in accounting and business.
The role of the Assistant Controller – International is to oversee the international accounting function, including the supervision of corporate international accounting managers and in-country finance managers. This includes managing the monthly financial close process for all international markets. The Assistant Controller – International will also actively coordinate and communicate with the accounting/finance teams of the Company’s foreign subsidiaries, or outside providers, to ensure compliance with statutory tax and audit requirements and actively participate with the preparation for and execution of new international market launches. This position is expected to initiate and implement improvements within the international accounting processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following and other duties as assigned.
- Manage monthly financial statement close process for all international entities.
- Actively coordinate and communicate with the accounting/finance teams of the Company’s foreign subsidiaries, or outside service providers.
- Review and approve journal entries and balance sheet reconciliations for international markets.
- Ability to analyze complex transactions and determine appropriate US GAAP and statutory treatment.
- Review analytics of foreign subsidiary financial statements to ensure accuracy, US GAAP compliance and adherence to the Company’s policies and procedures.
- Review and analyze worldwide intercompany activities and financial statements for each legal entity to ensure US GAAP compliance and adherence to the Company’s intercompany agreements.
- Initiate and implement improvements on international accounting processes.
- Interface with external auditors of the foreign subsidiaries for statutory audit and other local requirements.
- Other responsibilities as they arise.
Qualifications and Requirements
- International accounting experience at midsize to large multi-national company (public preferred).
- Supervisory experience required.
- In-depth knowledge of US GAAP and international accounting principles.
- Demonstrated strengths in leadership, project management, teambuilding, process management and driving change across the organization.
- Highly developed interpersonal style with emphasis on influencing and building strong long-term relationships particularly across various geographies and cross-functionally.
- A strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task and work with limited supervision and within tight deadlines while also being able to look at the “big picture.”
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, to be able to identify and pro-actively propose system and process improvements.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and result oriented.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Master’s degree in Accounting or MBA preferred.
- Active Certified Public Accountant license or active pursuit of license preferred.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.